Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Sunday, November 23, 2008

Showbiz in Lakerland

Posted by Tariq al Haydar








by Tariq al Haydar


I believe the Los Angeles Lakers will win an NBA championship in 2009. I really do. And it has nothing to do with my status as a newly-ordained Laker fan. They just seem to me to be the deepest, most talented squad, built around the best player on the planet. So yeah, they're my pick.

And so I shared my convictions with my friend the Ant, also a Laker (and annoying Bronco) fan.

"Listen," said the Ant, emitting an aura of faux-wisdom, "basketball is a game of match-ups, and the Lakers have one glaring mismatch among them, just waiting to get exploited."

And I knew he was right. He didn't even have to elaborate. I knew it was that nice guy, that sweetheart of a man (or so I hear)... Derek Fisher.

"Can you imagine how badly Chris Paul would abuse Fish? Or imagine if they face Detroit in the Finals? You really want to see Iverson take advantage of Fisher?"

So even before the season started, I scanned the NBA landscape in search of potential points. I had my heart set on Baron Davis, but he decided to exile himself to Clipperland. I even went through an Iverson fantasy phase: Just imagine a Kobe-AI backcourt... there would be problems, sure, but come on...

And then I found him:
Stephon Marbury.

I know, I know, it sounds idiotic, but hear me out:

- Marbury wouldn't cost the Lakers much if (when) the Knicks buy him out.

- Dude is only 31. It's not like he's so past it he can't contribute.

- Phil Jackson has a history of getting the best out of volatile but talented players.

I realize that Steph is no longer Starbury, that his all-star days are behind him, but I'd love to see this happen. In my mind, if it works out, and Marbury plays to his potential, the Lakers get a significant upgrade at point guard. And if it doesn't work, you really think Phil would lose control of the locker room? Stephon would just get marginalized.

After all, does anyone remember that in 2001, the year the Lakers went 15-1 in the playoffs, they had ISAIAH RIDER on their roster?

21 comments:

Moose said...

Point guard is a Laker weakness, no doubt about it. Farmar is a good backup for a good starter, but Fisher is a bit old and below average. But truthfully, Kobe does it all and picks up a lot of those responsibilities. On offense, I mean. On D, Fisher isn't very quick. But I really don't see the Lakers picking up Starbury. I realize that it might be a worthy idea, I just don't see it happening. And nice piece, Tariq.

Tariq al Haydar said...

Yeah, Moose, I don't think it'll happen either. I'm just saying that it SHOULD happen.

Tariq al Haydar said...

And thanks!

Moose said...

Any time, Tariq.

Moose said...

And as a Lakers fan, you'd like the potential drama that Marbury brings?

Tariq al Haydar said...

I just don't think Phil would allow him to become a distraction if it doesn't work out.

B. Long said...

Point guard is really not a weakness for the Lakers. Derek Fisher is possibly the most under rated role player of all-time. He's like the Robert Horry of point guards. Jordy has been killin when he's been in the game to. He gets at least one clutch steal and breakaway basket against the other teams starting pg almost every game. That all being said, the fan side of me would still love to see Steph in purple and gold.

Anonymous said...

I agree with B. I think the Lakers will win the championship as currently constructed. Bynum's still raw, but his development is far more advanced than others his age like Greg Oden (as much as it pains me to say right now). For the record, Fish can still get it done.

ASPOV said...

Well, as much as you seem to have thought this out, I'm afraid you missed one glaring point: Phil is married to the triangle. And it takes a certain amount of, shall we say, sanity, to learn this complicated system.. Stephon would probably have an aneurism trying to figure that system out. He's still trying to figure out if the voices in his head are god's.

Anonymous said...

Marbury would FAIL the triangle offense. I dont see the fit.

TADOne said...

PLEASE GOD....SEND MARBURY TO THE LAKERS!!!!!

They still haven't found a cure for cancer, right?

Tariq al Haydar said...

Good point about the triangle, Cheryl.

Hursty said...

Why can't I comment on the college thingy by TAD?
This would be my comment anyhow: Go UCONN! Go Ater! Fu*k ESPN.
Peace, Hursty.

Lastknickstanding said...

I don't know if I like the fit, but I like that someone other than me thinks that Steph has some left in the tank.

Anonymous said...

Tariq: a few years ago, another free agent point guard who still had a lot left in him, still was extemely talented, and wanted pennies on the dollars for a shot at a ring came to the Lakers. His name was Gary Payton; Phil Jackson wrote a book about that year called The Last Season. GP was stuborn and could not play or learn the triangle offense, i have NO faith Marbury is less stuborn than Gary Payton was (and GP really wanted a ring then too) End of point.

Anonymous said...

Oh and happy thanksgiving, i wanted to say that before i go to my Uncle's house. Peace

Icehouse said...

Don't sleep on the Spurs in odd-numbered years.

Just saying.

Icehouse said...

Hey! Why no love for Mo Charlo? Huh?

Anonymous said...

It's a gamble that could pay off, but really why would you take such a gamble?
The Lakers are only 15-1 or something? And it's been a dominating 15-1. Far, far more impressive than the C's 17-2. I think if you're a Laker fan, you wouldn't want to touch a thing.

BETCATZ WITH A Z said...

Mo Charlo sounds like Ho Sharlotteey

Icehouse said...

Gonna get you, catz.

$50 says Spurs make it to at least the western finals.